Life is Good because of God! Thumbs up!!!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Prayer and Asking

Today, the women from my family group met for brunch at Jess' house. What a delightful time it was! I must rant and rave for just a moment about Jess. She is one of the best hostesses that I know! Her home is always glowing with warmth, the coffee is always hot and fresh, and she's always focused on the needs of others. I want to say thank you again to Jess for being such a blessing in not only my life, but the lives of many women! It's amazing to see how God is working in the women of Elston. I know that the other family groups are flourishing also, which is wonderful to see. If you attend another church regularly- praise God too! I see God at work all around me in the lives of my friends.
I wanted to blog specifically about prayer and the Holy Spirit. Have you ever been around someone and just thought "Man! What do they have that I can't seem to get? They just seem so spiritual!" In a way, you even become a little bit envious of them and think "Ugh! There she goes again acting all godly!" Well, something occured to me today. Why do we so easily forget that God is right there ready to fill us with that same exact spirit that we see in others and long to have for ourselves? The key is this...don't get so caught up in wanting it and thinking about how others have it and you don't....just remember the key is to PRAY and ASK. Prayer can be that deep, silent, still place where you come to God and say "Please, just meet me right here where I am" . It's that secret place between you and God where anything is possible. Anything. Do I really believe that my God can do above and beyond what I can think or imagine??? YES!! YES! Today, in this moment, I am choosing to believe that God is able to fill me with every heavenly blessing that He has to offer! He wants you and I to walk in a newness of life that surpasses all understanding.
I was on my way to this wonderful brunch today and spoke with my spiritual advisor/encourager- Emily. She is one that exuberates the passion and joy of the Lord. I asked her just a simple thing..."Please, just pray today that I am filled with God's spirit. That's all I want." She of course did! God showed up today in a way that refreshed me. Now, here's the kicker of the story. Before I asked for that, I felt BLAHHHH, yucky, not worthy of leading a family group of women, not worthy of having the privledge to even have a day "off", not worthy of wonderful friends like all of you- just plain boring ole Kara to be quite honest! Then, the tide turned. Everything changed
and God swept through our brunch like a fresh breeze. Oh, how He is good.
I am overwhelmed today with the love of my friends and the relationships in my life. They are rich, deeply rich and beautiful. Some come more naturally than others, and some have seasons of depth that I treasure greatly,
and some live with me and I get the opportunity to grow close in a new way!
So, I'm encouraged today by prayer and the fact that the Spirit is like a fresh wind that blows where it pleases and you just never know when He's gonna show up in a big way!
Love you all,
K

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I don't even know what to say. I love when God weeps in and lets his spirit rest on us! I love that my friend Andrea was able to meet the wonderful women I call friends in my family group. The ones that encourage me, love me unconditionally, and speak truths in my life. I was thinking the entire time, how amazing God has filled so many empty spaces in my life with such wonderful friends. I'm so glad I was able to bless you a couple small ways today, it was my plesaure. I actually feel like the blessed one. One last thing, I'm glad we all realize the blessing we have in each other, than to take it for granted or not even acknowledge it.