Tonight's dinner was a hit for the whole family. I call this my
best Aldi's meal yet!
4 0z. Baked Chicken breast marinated in light Italian dressing
Steamed Fresh broccoli
1/2 c. 1% cottage cheese
1/2 low sugar canned peaches
Fresh Spinach with a little of the light italien dressing
Oh my!!! I have no clue what made my kids go crazy over
fresh spinach-that's just shocking... but they loved it with
that dressing. Even so much so that they asked for 2nds.
Our family of 8 ate the entire bag of baby spinach- yum!!!
My meal was 7 points (you could save a point with ff dressing)
Some of you know that it's a goal of mine to prepare a
healthy dinner for my fam. of 8 for under $10. This
one was a little more because of the chicken- but
so well worth it!
Does anyone else have healthy dinner meal ideas to meet my goal
of 10$/serves 8?
Also, I have a new goal of serving 1 fruit and 2 veggies at dinner time.
Yes, I do love shopping at Aldi's. If you are able to go there, I highly recommend it!!!
Here's what I love from there: ( I can actually walk through the store in my mind)
Baked Nacho Chips (great for taco salad)
100 Cal. packs of choc. chip cookies
LIGHT Buttered Popcorn- amazing!
Cocktail Sauce
mild salsa
Olive oil
cooking spray
skim milk- $2.76 gallon
Eggs
ff yogurt- .43
1 % cottage cheese
light sour cream
Baby Dill pickles
Turkey Bacon- the best ever and cheap- like $1.76?
Chip Beef- .33
Flour tortillas- .99
Shredded cheddar cheese- 4 c. for $3.29 (remember,
I like the real stuff)
String Cheese- $2.29
Bagged Iceberg Salad- .99
Bag of fresh spinach- $2 ??
turn the corner, going down 2nd aisle)
Raisin Bran- yum!! $2
Apple Cinn. Cheerios- for kids
Quick Oats
Tuna in water- .33
(I don't prefer aldi's light mayo, i go with kraft)
Thin spaghetti
Spag. sauce with mushrooms- this is my fav. spag. sauce around
sliced mushrooms
Tomato Juice
end cap:
taco seasoning pkt.
taco shells (for kids)
Dried Northern white beans
FF refried beans
next aisle is a lot of promo stuff, kitchen things, toys, totes, etc...
then, near the meat:
I love sliced turkey breast or sliced ham that comes in a little
plastic box (reminds you of a "Glad" storage container).
Fresh Meat: There 80% lean or higher ground beef is great.
they have nice chuck roasts, pork chops, etc.
I especially love the white Ground turkey- it's only like $2.36/lb and
comes in 1 lb. pkgs. I've just replaced ground beef with it and no one in
fam. notices. I make spaghetti, taco salad, chili
Fresh Fruits and Veggies:
All of it is usually awesome!!!
i buy:
bananas
reddish yellow apples in a bag- nice small size apples-perfect
for a snack or to let kids gnaw on
oranges are great, but give me cold sores
bag of yellow onions - .99
Russet OR idaho potatoes. Taters are nice baking size.
grape tomatoes and slicing tomatoes
pkg. of multi colored peppers is only $1.99
green peppers- 2 in pkg. are .99
Head of lettuce - .99
Fresh Broccoli crowns
mushrooms
head of cabbage
cucumbers
zucchini
Carrots
Canned stuff:
Light Sliced Peaches
applesauce
Mandarin oranges
i like all the basic veggies there.
The diced tomatoes are great
Mexican Chili beans
soups are good
end cap: chili seasoning packet
ff chicken broth
freezer section along the wall:
bag of skinless, boneless chicken breasts- $5.99
frozen broccoli, corn and peas, and california blend rock!
in the middle freezer section- Frozen Salmon fillet pieces - 4
4 oz. pieces in the bag for $3.99
Bag of deshelled and deveined large shrimp with tail on are about $4
Here are a few tips of things I love to make:
Taco Salad- Brown 1 lb. of ground white turkey. I use 1/2 the packet
of taco seasoning and about 1/3 c. of water. Add 1 can of drained
mexican beans. Heat until it thickens a bit.
Cover plate with lettuce from bagged salad. Sprinkle on about 1/4 c.
of meat and bean mixture. Sprinkle small amount of shredded cheese.
Crush baked doritos on top. Spoon salsa and 1 T. of lite sourcream on top.
Delicious and nutritious!
Salmon- I actually eat this for lunch about twice a week since
they are individually sealed and frozen. I thaw it in microwave
for 30 sec. Spray cooking spray in skillet, put salmon with
seasoning on it.. I like Garlic Garlic from Tastefully simple,
then I add a little lemon juice to pan. It sears up nicely.
Different twist- one day I tried the Garlic Garlic and a can
of diced tomatoes and a dab of olive oil. It was very good. I
can see this over brown rice or pasta. I tried it with pork and
beans- my strange concoction.. it was good.
One more Snack idea: I love "Pickles/CreamCheese Roll-ups"
Take 1 slice of chip beef and spread lite cream cheese on it.
Place a blotted dry pickle and roll up tight. These can be immediately
eaten or stored in a tupperware container until you are ready to slice
and eat. These are scrumptious.. but only 2 pts. for 3 baby dills wrapped
up!
4 comments:
Phenomenal tips! You are rockin' this out Kara!
I LOVE this post (since I love Aldi's)!! I felt like I was right in the store with you. I don't know the store as well as you do, but feel like I know my way around better now since I've been on a virtual tour with you! You sure have a handle on your groceries/budget, which is so awesome. The fact that you generally know the prices of all of those foods, wow!!!
I took away SO much from this post. Going to have to try their turkey bacon, would have never thought to before. I honestly don't know if I've ever had Salmon. I should try it one day :-) I have to say I'm not a big fan of their produce although I know they've come a long way. And as far as the fresh meat, I agree that the quality is good, but are their FRESH meat prices comparable to the other grocery stores sale prices on meat??? Depends, I guess.
Your version of taco salad sounds so good. I'm definitely going to try that. I love their baked Doritos.
Thank you so much for sharing your Aldi's wisdom...keep it coming, O Beautiful, Slim Bargain Shopper. And $10 dinners for 8 people, UNbelievable.
I love Aldi's produce but the ligth Sour cream is AWFUL! Can I just say again that it is AWFUL-I can't give you any points for taste in this arena. Now were the roll-ups with fat-free or light cream cheese?
I must warn your readers that while Aldi's is great, somethings are more at Aldi's -if you are a sales ad person, definitely check there first as many places offer sales that are better than -I know you are into the one stop shop and of course that's great but just in case, watching the sales ads online is always a good idea. And ground beef of even 90% lean is pretty high fat so watch that one:-) Thanks for the virtual tour as Amy put it.
How about grilled cheese, tomato soup and your fruit-is that $10 for 8 people??? It's easy and my kids love it;-)
Kara,
You are the tip queen! Wonderful ideas. I am still trying to figure out this low cholesterol dieting thing. I don't have my staple meals yet. I eat spinach almost daily (raw). I also eat tuna with ff mayo sandwhiches with oat bread. We also have had lots of salmon lately, which I love. I use a 30min. marinade (lemon pepper) and broil. Honestly, though, I don't know much about your point system, so I don't know how that works in regards to what I'm eating. I am still trying to balance the fat, the cholesterol, etc. I do eat tons of fruits and veggies...every single meal. I cut up a tomato, an apple, and a cucumber and spray the ff dressing on it and eat it all plain.
Okay, I'm rambling. It's late.
Love you and your awesome tips. I am so proud of you...and I'm pretty sure God is, too.
E
Post a Comment